Fixtures and Fittings Form TA10

When you sell your house, you will need to specify what is being sold along with it. To do this, you will be asked to use Fittings and Contents Form TA10. This is sometimes also known as the fixtures and fittings form.

This form discusses exactly what is included with and excluded from a given property sale.

What is Form TA10?

Form TA10 is a document showing all fittings and contents included within a property sale. It is usually issued to you as the seller at the start of the conveyancing procedure.

The fittings and contents form offers a chance for buyers and sellers to discuss and agree on exactly what will be left behind.

What is the difference between Fittings and Contents?

Many people are unclear about the difference between fittings and contents. And so it is important you understand the meaning.

Typically, fixtures or fittings are included in a property sale, while contents are not.

A simple way to understand the difference is to think that fixtures or fittings are fixed in place, while contents can be moved easily.

Common fittings include light switches, kitchen cupboards and plumbing systems. Contenats would include furniture and decorations.

What is a Chattel?

Chattel is an archaic word meaning movable property. It is often used to mean the same thing as fittings.

Chattel property is personally owned and identifiable.

How does Form TA10 work?

Form TA10 divides the items inside and around the house into eleven different categories.

Each of these categories contains a list of items.

For each of these items there are tick boxes for ‘included’, ‘excluded’ or ‘non-existent’. These allow you as a seller to select what you are including in your property and what you are taking with you.

If you wish to sell something separately to the house, there is also a box for a price. You can tick the box for excluded but list a price for it in Form TA10.

This will give the buyer the option of buying items from you. The price stated is not necessarily fixed and can be negotiated at any time prior to exchange of contracts.

An example of Form TA10 is available to download from the Law Society website.

What fixtures and fittings examples are included in Form TA10?

The categories are based on furniture types or the room which the furniture is expected to be situated in.

Category one contains basic fittings: This includes door fittings, heating systems and radiators, insulation, electric sockets, burglar alarms and window fittings/shutters.

These things are generally included within a sale.

Category two refers to the kitchen. As the seller, you are asked to confirm which appliances will be included with the property.

You must also state if they are fitted or freestanding.

Category three refers to the bathroom/s. This category contains permanent bathroom fittings, such as taps, baths, showers, fitted mirrors and towel rails, as well as less permanent shower curtains, soap holders and loo roll holders.

Category four refers to carpets, category five refers to curtains and curtain rails, category six refers to light fittings, and category seven refers to fitted units, such as cupboards, shelves, and wardrobes.

The eighth category covers things kept in the garden, including plants, barbeques, ornaments, and outdoor furnishings. It also covers utilities like the washing line and any water butt.

Category nine covers television aerials, while 10 covers fuel stocks including oil, LPG, and wood. Category 11 is for items that do not fit in any of the pre mentioned categories.

Who needs to sign Form TA10?

The fittings and contents form needs to be signed by everyone who owns the property.

This is to ensure that one owner does not sell something that does not belong to them with the property.

For example, one half of a married couple may want to leave a garden gnome collection behind. However, the other half of the couple does not and would be extremely unhappy if it happened without their prior permission.

Is Fittings and Contents Form TA10 mandatory?

The form is not a legally mandated part of the sale process and is not required to complete a property transaction.

At the same time, it is highly recommended for both buyers and sellers, and helps to prevent confusion and disputes about what should be included with a property.

Is Form TA10 legally binding?

The short answer is – Yes.

Form TA10 becomes legally binding following the exchange of contracts. All items listed must be transferred with the house to the seller.

If the fittings and contents form is completed incorrectly by the seller, the buyer could sue them for damages.

What should you do when you complete Form TA10?

Once you have completed the form you should send a copy back to your conveyancer as quickly as possible.

Your conveyancer will then pass it on to your buyer, who will then decide if they wish to buy an additonal items. Your conveyancer should send a copy of this completed form back to you for your own records.

When it comes to moving house, you are advised to keep a copy of Form TA10 handy when you are packing up. This is so you can check against it and ensure you do not take or leave anything you shouldn’t.


Forma TA10 is an important but not essential document for buying and selling property.

It confirms what is included in the sale, what is not included, and what is available for sale separately.

Using Form TA10 is highly recommended to avoid conflict and disputes at a later date between the buyer and seller. 

The form becomes legally binding following the exchange of contracts and if it is not adhered to, the buyer can sue the seller for damages.

Has this article been helpful? Let us know by leaving a short comment below.